3.03.2012

Party Girl

There was probably never a time in my life when I left one party and high tailed it to another party. My how things change. My son was invited to not one but two birthday parties today. He woke up at 6 am like usual to get his day going. UGH! By the time it was time for the first party it was really time for a nap. Any who he had a ball and I got to chat it up with the other moms. Speaking of chatting it up, can I just tell you how much I dislike this aspect of my son going to things? The conversation is always about napping and foods and developmental milestones. I would love to discover some really neat things about these ladies. See if there is some deeper connection than the fact that we are all watching our offspring like hawks. I don't want to come off mean but I really wish these events could be more of a relaxed social experience for me. If I have to spend my entire Saturday at little parties I would love to have more stimulating conversation. And don't get me wrong, I am guilty of not bringing up more interesting topics and really the parties are not the spot for a deeper conversation. It just seems strange to spend an entire day talking about swim clubs and the like. Is this what the preschool/school years are like? I may not have gone to big time parties but I will say there have been many days when I felt like an interesting person. Today was not that day. Strange ugh. Today I felt like my son's Momma and not in the way that makes me glow. Like that was all that I had to offer to the table. Is this the norm? Was/am I expecting too much. Have all of the cool women I have met in the blog world spoiled me? Who knows. I am just glad that there are not any party invites anytime soon :) I kid, I kid...mostly!

4 comments:

  1. I feel you. The moms who attend our field trips talk about the same things with one another. I was so bored I had to move away and chat up the students! You know it's bad when you'd rather have a conversation with a five-year-old than with a 35-year-old.

    I think moms often think that childrearing is the easiest shared topic to talk about. I wonder if dads do too....I somehow doubt it. Anyways, next time just bring your iPod and be than antisocial Mommy! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dread kid parties for the same reason... I'm SO not the mom to sit and talk about all the activities my kid is involved in or sippy cups or nap time. I feel SO out of place and really don't even want to make an effort to chat so I involve myself in what T is doing or taking pictures to avoid the OMG I want to stab something feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I can't relate personally. All I can say is THAT SUCKS! You would think there's more to discuss, but maybe it's hard since you're all brought together under false pretenses?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too funny... sometimes we ladies forget that there is anythingelse to talk about other than our children.....and of course at some point we are all guilty of doing it...but alas at some point the conversation gets to be more stimulating, probably after the kids get a little older......

    ReplyDelete